About Coach/Kru Dave Nielsen:
Spending time with and raising his daughter, Muay Thai/Boxing, Surfing and watching Science Fiction or Historical Dramas…that’s pretty much sums up Coach Dave it in a nutshell.
A musician since 5th grade, he plays trumpet, guitar, violin and drums he has passsed his love onto his daughter who plays piano and violin
An avid animal lover Coach Dave was fortunate to have parents that supported his love of aniamsl, permitting him to have a goat, duck, rabbits, an iguana, dog, cat, fish and even a hampster. We think he missed his calling. ha He has spread that love to his daughter who has her own array of animal friends currently, including a bunny, leopard gecko and dog.
Coach enjoys sharing his love of the arts, self-awareness and nature with his daughter who has be seen on network TV supporting an excellent environmental cause in the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant Commercial.
He loves culture and language that he picked up via his fathers 30 year Naval Career, speaking bits of Thai, Chinese (Mandarin), Korean, Vietnamese, Arabic, French, Spanish and more…he was also fortunate to live in Korea as a child where he developed a love of Kimchi!
Kru started Muay Thai at a very old age, much older than most at his time, starting training in 2000 when hen was 25 years old.
In college for Political Science and Business Administration with aspirations of law, Kru Dave settled on the Political Science and Business Admin Degrees while passing on an acceptance to study Law at UCLA, to pursue his new found love of Thai Boxing.
Kru Dave started American Boxing & Fitness in 2003 as a mobile personal training company, training some very notable entrepreneurs and real estate investors in San Diego. Within a year, he had enough money to convince other investors to chip in and loan him the money to open his first storefront @ 2710 Garnet Ave. 3000 square feet, 2 miles to the ocean. He paid back his investors within just a few years.
At that time, Muay Thai was simply not popular in Sand Diego. Kru would take his students and test their Muay Thai skills among the Thai Community in underground Muay Thai events throughout the Los Angeles area, proving to himself and Americas largest Thai community that Kru Dave and American Boxing Muay Thai Academy San Diego was legit.
After almost a decade at that location, American Boxing moved to 1735 Garnet for almost another 10 years where the underground Muay Thai scene was replaced by Promotions like WCK Muay Thai, the oldest and longest running Muay Thai promotion in the United States. Most events were now on Indian Reservations to allow for Full Rules Muay Thai, since the California State Athletic Comission prevented certain techniques.
With a second World Title offer on the table, Kru Dave chose retirment as an undefeated professional at 38 years old, to focus on raising his daughter and business (since competition didn’t “pay the bills”). Within 2 years of his retirement, Kicboxers pay went from $1000-$5000 tops per fight, into the 6 digits with common paydays of $150,000 with Glory Kickboxing. It’s all about timing people.
Coach Dave has now hit his stride, juggling full-time parenting, surfing and teaching and has moved into a new more functional gym space in a fitness co-op of sorts with some very humble like minded enthusiasts. (Here’s our new address!)
Kru’s Combat Sports Accolades are second to none in San Diego.
- Retired Undefeated Professional Muay Thai fighter
- Former WBC Muay Thai US Cruiserweight Champion
- Former IKF Muay Thai World Champion
- Former 7X Undefeated IKF Amateur Muay Thai Champion
- Bronze Medal IFMA TEAM USA 2010
- California State Submission Wrestling Champion
- USA Boxing Coach and more…
Coach Dave has produced numerous Champions in Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu Grappling that have competed in Americas top promotions such as Lion Fight, WCK Muay Thai, Glory Kickboxing, Grapplers Quest, Best of The West, The Pan Ams and more!
Health, Fitness, self defense and competition are all his expertise.
Associations, Affiliations and Certifications Held
- NASM National Academy of Sports Medicine
- ACSM American College of Sports Medicine
- NASM Certified Weight Loss Specialist
- USMTA (United States Muay Thai Association) Certified Muay Thai Official
- WBC (World Boxing Council) Certified Muay Thai Official
- WARGODS MMA FIGHTS (mixed martial arts) referee
- Licensed USA BOXING Coach
With his comprehensive knowledge of Muay Thai take-downs, striking and submissions, Coach Dave has even had his expertise called on as an Expert Muay Thai Witness in a California Murder Trial!
Coach Dave has worked with Cancer survivors, many disabilities including Parkinsons and spina bifida, Police Detectives, US Border Patrol Agents, Navy S.E.A.L.S., Pre Natal, Pregnant and Post Natal Women, Pro Baseball and NFL Players, UFC Fighters and more!
Coach Dave is an extremely technical instructor who enjoys working with people having unique circumstances.
Important words from Kru:
“I was part of a group of fighters that was on a Team. Every person on that Team eventually left. Almost every person had bad things to say about the coach. Everyone told themselves what they wanted to hear.
Was he always right in his actions? The easy answer is no…but with each passing year, I see his perspective more and more and realize, like him, I DO NOT LIKE excuses.
We all have them! But the successful never use them. Blaiming other people and situations is easy to do…the hard thing is learning how to improve yourself and take away a lesson from every situation.
I broke my neck just a couple years before training combat sports. The pain and nerve damage effected me every day…I never told a coach, training partner or anyone…no excuses.
I have trained cleints with spina bifida, parkinsons and cancer…they gave, no excuses.
Baxter “The One Armed Bandit” is a 1 armed MULTIPLE TIME Muay Thai World Champion…need I say it?
No excuses…they put their chin down sucked it up and kept moving forward! Learning and growing.
ALL are succesful to this day!
Only the weak minded use excuses…do you want to be weak???
Or would you rather have a warriors heart and a philosophers mind?!
No, I am not trying to be cheesy here, I am very serious…
This is learned through your upbringing that some of you missed out on…
I will break you of the “excuses habit” and make you stronger, in every way, guaranteed!
If you resist tough lessons and continue the “habit of excuses”, you will also “blame” (when someone around you does not accomodate your behaviour).
You will be the type of person who writes either 1 or 5 star reviews. People will know you are em otionally unstable. You will have trouble managing your emotions when things don’t go your way. You will blame others instead of reflecting and thinking “what could I have done different”.
This will get worse and be the cause of stress, negativity and poor health in your life.
If you train with me, rest assured excuses are unacceptable and failing to communicate with me honestly and respectfully at appropriate times will unfortunatley effect our relationship. But there is no shame in trying only to fail. It takes more guts that most will ever have to step outside of your comfort zone and try to “break the mold”.
The percentage of students I have helped because they stayed and talked privately with me about their thoughts and feelings, still, far outweighs those I could not help…
As a result, I will continue to do exactly what I do and how I do it as long as I am able.
~Dave, Coach & Founder American Boxing
- 2000 Began Training with Muay Thai World Champion Ole Laursen
- 2000 Began Training with MMA and Jiu Jitsu Champion Dean Lister
- 2003 Recruited to fight on Team Menor by Muay Thai World Champion Melchor Menor
- Has trained with countless World and Lumpinee Champions
- 2007 Began the Study and Practice of Acupuncture for Injury Recovery
- WBC Muay Thai US Cruiserweight Champion
- IKF Muay Thai World Champion
- Member of TEAM USA at won Bronze Medal @ IFMA 2010 Bangkok Thailand (more than 180 countries were represented)
- IAMTF MUAY THAI California CHAMPION
- 3 Time IKF MUAY THAI CHAMPION
- California State MUAY THAI CHAMPION
- West Coast MUAY THAI CHAMPION
- Arnold Classic Sports Festival Muay Thai Champion Class “A” Fighters (K-1 Rules Tournament)
- California State Submission Wrestling CHAMPION
- Pan American Submission Grappling Silver Medal
- Pan American Submission Grappling Silver Medal (open weight division)
- Ole Laursen- Muay Thai World Champion
- Saekson Janjira- Muay Thai World Champion
- Melchor Menor- Muay Thai World Champion
- Maliapet Sasiprapa Elite XC Fighter and Muay Thai World Champion
- Ajarn Apidej (Muay Thai Superman and Living Legend with 290 Wins 1 Draw 9 Losses)
MMA, Grappling and Wrestling:
- Dean Lister- Grappling World Champion
- Eric Bellas- Penn State Wrestler, Wrestling Coach and Author
- Charlie Kohler- BJJ Blackbelt and MMA Fighter
- Donald Cerrone- UFC Fighter
- Rashad Evans- UFC Fighter
- Rani Yahya- MMA Fighter and Jiu Jitsu World Champion
- Israel Gomez- Chute Boxe Black Belt MMA/Muay Thai Fighter/BJJ Black Belt
- Greg Jackson- MMA Coach
Can you imagine learning from a coach with 25 YEARS as a student of Boxing and MMA Training with THE TOP FIGHTERS, TRAINERS and COACHES in the WORLD as well as more than 30 years of sports, fighting and fitness knowledge?
There’s no need to imagine! Train with Coach Dave @ American Boxing today! TRIAL CLASSES